Does this describe you? Your parents are aging. You’re worried about whether they’ll get the care they need.
- Can they remain independent in their home?
- What if they don’t live near to you? Who will check on them?
- How will they pay for the care they need in the home?
- Is it a good idea to give the house to the children?
- What if they really need nursing home care?
- Will that destroy all that they built up over their lives?
- Can they still leave some legacy to the family?
- Can both parents stay together if they need nursing care?
Are the questions swirling around and keeping you up at night? You and your parents need to sit down with an elder law attorney and with a geriatric care manager who can give you a comprehensive review of the circumstances and a set of recommendations of what needs to be done.
Every case is different. Is there a child living in the house who provides daily care? Is there an estranged son in another state who is starting to tell everyone what should be done? Does a parent have advanced dementia and no Power of Attorney? Is there a need for a Legal Guardianship? Should a Special Needs Trust be set up for a disabled child or grandchild? Is there a house to protect? Do you need to file a Medicaid application?
At Fink Rosner Ershow-Levenberg, LLC, in New Jersey, our certified elder law attorneys and our capable staff will prepare a customized plan tailored to your parents’ special needs and will work with you over time to implement the plan and help you ensure that your parents find and get the care they need. We provide you with peace of mind as you navigate the complicated and worrisome terrain of caring for your elderly relatives.